Edward "Ned" Carter Memorial Scholarship
The Association of Fire Districts of the State of New York is pleased to offer the Ned Carter Memorial Scholarship Award for Hight School Seniors. These scholarships are named in honor of Past President Ed 'Ned' Carter', and all deceased past presidents of the Association. In keeping with Ned's lifelong dedication to community service and helping others, four, onetime $1,500 scholarships will be presented to gradating high school seniors who will be pursuing a career in a community services related discipline.
Who is eligible?
- The applicants MUST be a FIREFIGHTER or, JR FIREFIGHTER/EXPLORER, or be RELATED TO A FIRE DISTRICT COMMISSIONER, DISTRICT SECRETARY, DISTRICT TREASURER, DISTRICT DEPUTY TREASURER, DISTRICT ADMINISTRATOR/MANAGER. The Fire Department/District MUST be a current member in good standing with AFDSNY.
- Applicants MUST be continuing their education after high school at either a two or four year institution of higher education in pursuit of a community service related career. This includes but not limited to; fire service, nursing, social work, teaching, health related services, paramedic, etc.
How are winners determined?
- Four (4) awards will be given each year. Once award in each quadrant of the State. (See attached)
- Applications will be evaluated by the Scholarship Committee of the Association of Fire Districts of the State of New York. Academic achievement and community service will be considered in the selection process.
- Awards will be made directly to the winning recipient (s) upon proof of registration to a two or four year accredited institution of higher education.
- All decisions of the Committee are final
What needs to be included in your application?
- Applicants general information form
- High school transcript
- Guidance Recommendation (included in application packet)
- Personal Recommendation (included in application packet)
- Firematic Recommendation (included in application packet)
- 200 word or less typed essay, about how this funding will help you or what it means to you
Applications will be evaluated by the Scholarship Committee of the Association of Fire Districts of the State of New York. Financial need, academic achievement and community service are all factors in the selection process. All decisions of the Committee are final. Awards shall be made directly to the winning recipient, awards will only be made upon successful completion of the first semester and upon proof of registration for the second semester at an accredited institution of higher education.